Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reflecting on Patak-patak (drop-by-drop) in my PSU days

Nagano- As I was walking this morning, I was refreshing and reflecting on my college days when the UM National Director gave me the instruction to go back to school and finish my college or bachelor's degree last 1990.
The direction to go back to school was a mere direction. There was no financial or budget in it. I have to find ways on how to do it, where to stay and live, what to eat, and where to have money to pay the fees in the university. The only thing I have were the direction and the commitment to fulfill it. There is a big responsibility behind the direction too.
I applied as a student-laborer in one state university, Pangasinan State University and I was given a per hour wage of P3.85 peso. If I work for 3 hours in a day, I have just P11.55 peso that day.
During a start in Urdaneta, Pangasinan, I was a bit lucky at the start that a homemember offered me a space in their house for lodging. His parents were also good. However, I don't know his reason that after few weeks he just told me that he cannot afford anymore to allow me to stay in their house. I reflected if I have done anything wrong to them but none. Perhaps, my meal was costly for them. That pushed me to find a boarding house as my dormitory. A small bed space costs P80.00 per month that time. What I did was, I volunteered to clean the dormitory every vacant time. I have no other intention, but the landlord, noticed my religiosity in maintaining the cleanliness of the sorrounding and rooms. Because of that, he gave me free bed-space in that dormitory. That solved my shelter. My monthly wage as janitor is not enough for my foods and school needs. More solutions needed and prayers too.
Limitations did not bother me. I even organized the martial arts club to witness and educate students on DP and the tenets of martial arts inside the university. We have our 2 times a week training. And I integrated the club to the P.E. class during the last period in the afternoon by talking to the P.E. Instructor, Madame Lydia. She was a great instructor and very dynamic too. She asked me to demonstrate my martial arts lesson in her class. She said it was applicable for dual sports and is acceptable. After such, she has no second thought but give to me the responsibility of handling the P.E class under her supervision. She was always around during the class though even helping in checking the stances of the P.E. students. I have no salary for that. Mine was to open an avenue to witness to students and lecture them.
I was recalling on all these experiences this morning as I was walking to the school office in applying a new teaching job.
During my vacant time in college, I reported to Madame Lydia the attendance sheet of the P.E. class and she offered me always a time for sharing. In here, she knew my status as a missionary-on-leave due to schooling without any financial support.
And I was teary to remember the days when I was asked by the College Dean to bring something to the faculty room. At that time as I was inside the faculty room, I saw and caught Madame Lydia passing an empty chalk box to her fellow faculty members. I was a bit naive to know what it was. But as I was passing by near a table of a professor, I heard Madame Lydia approaching every teacher with her arms extended holding the empty chalk box soliciting. She said, "Patak-patak. Any amount for Allan's tuition fee". When I heard that, I felt not embarassed but noticed my feet moving faster to get out from the faculty room asap. I noticed my cheeks getting wet. I dont know what to do that time. It was so moving for me to find a person whom you are not related even in religion or church life to help a nobody like me .
Years past. I graduated. I was teaching then. The last time I met Madame Lydia was when I was crossing a street. A bus passed by and a woman-passenger was shouting at her window my name and waving her hands out. I noticed it was Madame Lydia in the bus passing San Fernando, La Union. She gave a flying kiss and waved til I cant see anymore the bus. I was jumping and waving in reply to her.
Memories. Times. History!
Lydia sensie, domo arigato guzaimasu. Otsukare sama deshita! Itte rasshai!!!!

No comments: